JANE DOE PRESENTS TRUE SLIME (WHAT IS UR RELATIONSHIP WITH TRUE CRIME?)
Deadline: 28/08/2018 | Published: 06/07/2018 | City: WORLDWIDE | Region: London | Country: United Kingdom | Jane DoeReport this?
We're piecing together a high quality zine in which we explore the relationship women and minorities have with true crime. We feel like women are leading the way with true crime related media at the moment, and we want to consider why that is.
** plz note, if you submitted to our previous call out - we have your submission and will get back to you soon ! this is just to extend the deadline + add a few more details. life is hectic.
We've had some amazing art submissions and we're keen for written pieces to pair them up with (and more art, obviously). Here are some of the things we'd like to explore via articles / personal essays / ramblings (max. 1,000 words, no min.!). Have a read and see if anything inspires you / if you have any work relating :::::::::::::
- How are women suspects / killers / victims / survivors with mental health issues treated differently to their male counterparts?
- How do gay men interact with true crime (we're thinking about serial killers who have targetted gay men e.g. Dennis Nilsen)
- The fetishization of serial killers: to what extent is this performative? Does anyone genuinely think Ted Bundy is handsome?
- Similarly, what's up with the women who seek out and maintain relationships with men imprisoned for violent crimes?
- How does being interested in true crime affect one's mental health, or heighten symptoms like paranoia?
- How are victims/survivors who are sex workers villainised by both the police and the media, even after their murders?
Some other ideas::::::
- Self defence tips!
- Favourite survivor story?
- Playlist (say, 12 songs?)
- Reviews of true crime book / documentary / podcast / etc.
- Buzzfeed type lists !! (e.g., weirdest crime scenes (no bodies plz), bizarre ransom notes)
- Poetry! We love poems!
We're both English grads and creative writing MA candidates, so well up for editing with you.
ANY other ideas, please send our way!! we're excited !!!!
If you're submitting a written piece, please do so as a word doc/pdf. xx
ssgdm xContact the curator
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
Cooltzine is the extension of Cooltsalon, platform for ideas and creativity exchange in urban... Open Call for Artists | 'Alpha - Theta' exhibition
Art Number 23 is a London-based organisation, mainly responsible for curating art exhibitions... Call for Articles - The Critical Fish; Beneath the surface of Arts and Visual Culture
We're pleased to announce the Call for Articles for our first ever issue (launching May...