SHINE Emerging Artist Programme 2017 - Light Night Leeds & Quays Culture
Deadline: 05/06/2017 | Published: 05/05/2017 | Venue: Leeds City Centre, Salford Quays | City: Leeds, Salford | Region: West Yorkshire | Country: United Kingdom | Abbe RobinsonReport this?
We are pleased to announce that Light Night Leeds and Quays Culture are joining together again to support up to 3 emerging artists for their 2017 events. The SHINE programme aims to identify, nurture, and develop new talent, giving emerging artists the opportunity to exhibit or perform their work at Light Night in Leeds City Centre on Thursday 5th & Friday 6th October 2017, and at the Salford Quays & MediaCityUK location for Lightwaves from 8th-17th December 2017.
SHINE Emerging Artist Programme 2017
Commissioned SHINE artists will be awarded bursaries of up to £2,500 to realise their idea on the theme of ‘People and the City’, to include all artistic, operational and logistical costs. As well as financial support, each commissioned artist will also receive support and mentoring from the Light Night and Quays Culture teams, and be offered training and mentoring in areas relevant to them. We will work directly with commissioned artists to create a bespoke package suitable to their development, which could include setting up as a professional artist, marketing, finance, production, risk assessments or event management.
To be eligible to apply to the SHINE programme you must be an artist who can be recognised as 'emerging' with the ability to achieve their ideas to a high quality. We are specifically looking for artists that involve digital technology in the making and outcome of their proposal. Please read the full information and FAQs before submitting your application via CuratorSpace. The deadline for submissions is 5pm Monday 5th June 2017.
What can you create?
The theme for the 2017 Light Night Leeds event is ‘People and the City’ and we are especially interested in showcasing interactive work which requires direct engagement from audiences or requires ‘people power’. Proposals must be for work of a contemporary nature, which utilises digital technology, and the creative use of light. Artwork needs to be weather-proof, able to withstand strong winds, be structurally sound (if applicable) and be suitable for presenting outdoors at both locations and timescales. Performance based work is also permitted and artists would be expected to deliver at least three 15 minute performances throughout an evening. We are especially interested in interactive work, which can cater for large audiences, and activities or events which are accessible to families.
What locations can you use?
Leeds - We want Light Night events and activities to be concentrated in Leeds city centre so audiences can easily access your work during the festival. Work can be exhibited or performed outdoors in the streets, on one of the city’s designated events spaces, or at a range of local venues.
Salford Quays / MediaCityUK – Lightwaves spans across a variety of outdoor public realm spaces, all of which are exposed to the elements, with the Quays Culture team curating the final exhibition.
If there is a particular location you would like to use, please specify this in your application, or tell us the type of space required for your work and we can suggest suitable sites.
How we assess your application
A panel of Light Night Leeds and Quays Culture experts will assess all applications and curate a mixed programme based on the submissions received. The aim is to ensure a variety of high quality work and the best experience for artists, audience members and venues. They will assess the applications based on 4 areas:
· Artistic quality – the strength & quality of the idea and the artist’s previous work.
· Public experience- who it is aimed at and how will the public engage with it.
· Financial viability – can all elements of the activity be delivered effectively within budget?
· Project management - can the piece be created within the time available and is there a suitable space for the activity? Is the work durable enough for the festival dates? What materials are you using when considering the digital and outdoors?
When will you find out?
The deadline for submissions is 5pm Monday 5th June 2017. We will review applications and arrange interviews and site visits with artists where applicable over the following 2 weeks. We aim to let all applicants (successful and unsuccessful) know by Friday 23rd June 2017.
Things to consider when completing your application:
· Be clear about your project aims and the artistic idea behind the work. How can you demonstrate quality through examples of your previous work?
· Be specific about who your work is aimed at. Can the public engage with your work in an interactive or immersive way? What do you want the audience to get out of your work, and what impact will it have?
· Demonstrate how your project can be realised for the budget available. If you require match or additional finance for your project let us know which funding schemes or sponsorship you plan to apply for.
· Give a clear indication of how your project will be managed from start to finish including the venue you plan to use and how work will be delivered on the night.
Light Night activities start at 6pm and finish at 11pm, however some light-based work will not be able to start until at least 7pm. Lightwaves at Salford Quays/MediaCityUK is a 10 day exhibition of work, with visual art works expected to exhibit for the whole period, and performance works to be over a full single day. You will need to be able to either perform a short durational piece which can be repeated throughout the evening (with suitable breaks) or have your installation or exhibition functioning for the full event. You will also need to consider your install / de-install plans.
The £2,500 SHINE bursary includes all artist fees and materials. If needed you can apply for match funding from other sources such as Leeds Inspired or Arts Council England, and we can support you with any applications you make. Funding will be given to artists based on the quality of their idea and will need to include all technical, installation, operational and material costs. There is no additional funding available to cover accommodation, food, general overheads, parking, and personal travel, so this will need to be funded from other sources or factored into your project budget.
Terms and conditions
By applying to be an artist during Light Night you agree:
· Your project/activity will be ready for exhibition / performance at Light Night Leeds 2017 and as part of the Quays Culture’s Lightwaves Digital Light Festival in December 2017.
· Your work is deliverable within the timescale of the programme and will be delivered on budget.
· If it is an outdoor activity is sufficiently weatherproof to withstand outdoor autumn / winter conditions, including strong winds, snow and rain.
· If your activity is interactive, it will be sufficiently strong enough to withstand use by large audiences.
· To attend marketing, production meetings and site visits where reasonably required.
· To source appropriate permissions and licences for the use of non-Leeds City Council spaces.
· You must have relevant Public Liability Insurance for your activity with up to £10million cover.
· To support the Light Night and Quays Culture marketing campaigns, supplying copy and advance images and copy as and when required and utilise social media and blogging as well as being available to give interviews to the press and media.
If your application is successful the Light Night & Quays Culture teams can offer you:
· Production advice and practical support, including technical support where suitable and agreed in advance.
· Health and Safety management.
· Site security, staff and volunteer stewards.
· Project PR and marketing including all promotional materials and special events.
Key Dates 2017:
Deadline for applications - 5pm Monday 5th June
Interviews / Site visits – Thursday 22nd June
Applicants informed if successful - Friday 23rd June
Marketing deadline for copy and images – 1st July
All Artist H&S Documentation submitted for review – 1st August
Light Night programme / website launch – 1st September
Light Night Event – 5th & 6th October
Quays Culture Lightwaves – 8-17th December
About Light Night Leeds
Light Night Leeds started in 2005 and is an annual multi-arts and light festival which takes place on two nights in early October at multiple venues across Leeds city centre. It’s a celebratory night for the huge range of diverse and thriving creative activity taking place in Leeds all year round, and gives local people and visitors to the city free access to art and venues that they might not normally see. Light Night is a great opportunity for artists and arts organisations to change the dynamics or perceptions of the city centre at night, and the festival motivates people to “come to town” by offering different events, exhibitions and shows from a variety of artists and performers. In 2016 approximately 80,000 visitors attended over 50 unique events across 30 different city centre venues.
About Quays Culture
Quays Culture runs outdoor arts and cultural events, combining the latest in digital technology with the vision of world-class artists. Their mission is to make the Salford Quays and MediaCityUK location the place to see, create and interact with the art of the future and connect with the world.The ambitious work Quays Culture present throughout the year ranges from the intimate to the monumental, acting as a series of interventions and invitations to the public realm. As part of their mission, they are dedicated to supporting emerging artists to explore new ideas and produce artworks for the future, and are proud to be working with Light Night Leeds.Contact the curator
Light Night Leeds and Quays Culture have other opportunities for professional artists and arts organisations who have exhibited/performed professionally before.
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
Cooltzine is the extension of Cooltsalon, platform for ideas and creativity exchange in urban... Open Call for Artists | 'Alpha - Theta' exhibition
Art Number 23 is a London-based organisation, mainly responsible for curating art exhibitions... Call for Articles - The Critical Fish; Beneath the surface of Arts and Visual Culture
We're pleased to announce the Call for Articles for our first ever issue (launching May...