Associate Membership Application for The 62 Group - 2023
Deadline: 01/06/2023 | Catherine Dormor
The 62 Group are inviting emerging/early career textile artists to apply for a two-year Associate Membership that includes financial support, mentoring to develop your practice and exhibitions with a renowned international textile group.
Associate Membership will be offered to one emerging/early career textile artist in 2023 who demonstrates a distinctive artistic voice, ambition and innovation in their creative practice, and who can show how they will benefit from the supported opportunity to be a contributing member of the 62 Group artists’ collective.
The aim of the 62 Group of Textile Artists is to open access to professional practice for emerging/early career textile artists by increasing opportunities to progress in their field. By inviting creative conversations and making connections between established and rising artists, we hope to increase the visibility of textile art.
What is the 62 Group of Textile Artists?
- The 62 Group is an artist led organisation that aims to challenge the boundaries of textile practice through an ambitious and innovative annual programme of exhibitions. The activities of the group are funded by the membership fees and organised by a committee of members.
What is the 62 Group Associate Membership?
- The 62 Group will award one emerging/early career textile artist in 2023 an Associate Membership to the 62 Group of Textile Artists. Associate Membership will last for two years and then there will be the opportunity for you to apply for full membership of the group. The aim of the award is to motivate, encourage and support you in the next stage of your practice.
Who can apply for Associate Membership?
- The 62 Group award is for all UK based emerging/early career textile artists. The award is aimed at opening access to a professional textile practice. We encourage applications from people of all genders, backgrounds and communities, particularly from underrepresented or marginalised groups.
- * We consider 'emerging/early career' to be 3 years plus of committed practice. We acknowledge that ‘committed practice’ may not be continuous and may include employment breaks, career breaks or career changes.
What will Associate Membership give me?
- An award of £500 per year (£1000 in total) to cover expenses incurred whilst you are a 62 Group Associate Member. This might include but is not limited to: travel expenses to 62 Group exhibitions, postage costs for sending work, to buy tools/materials or for any other support needed to further your practice.
- Free Associate Membership of the 62 Group of Textile Artists (usually costs £50 per year)
- Artist profile on the 62 Group website
- Support from a 62 Group 'friend'.
- Targeted mentorship from other 62 Group members
- Regular networking meetings with 62 Group members.
- The opportunity to exhibit in 62 Group exhibitions with no submission or hanging fees (usually costs £20 per work per exhibition).
- The opportunity to apply for full membership with advice on selecting and presenting work for new members selection.
- No membership fees for the first year of full 62 Group membership (usually costs £50 per year).
What practical support and mentoring will I get?
- You will have a 62 Group 'friend' who will be your first point of contact with the 62 Group.
- Your 62 Group 'friend' will offer support, advice, and motivation for up to 6, one-to-one meetings per year.
- You will also receive targeted mentorship from other 62 Group members who have specific skill sets based on a conversation around your needs.
- Meetings for professional development and mentoring may take place in person or on Zoom.
- In the first mentoring session you will: discuss what to expect whilst working together; agree goals to commit to whilst working together; put together a professional development plan, with relevant actions tailored to your needs and ambitions.
Will I be able to exhibit in 62 Group exhibitions?
- Yes, we encourage Associate Members to apply for 62 Group exhibitions. You will be subject to the same selection procedures as full members.
How will I be selected for the Associate Membership Scheme?
- Your digital application will be considered by a group of three 62 Group members and an invited external panelist.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to send actual work for a second selection process. We can contribute to postage costs up to £25 per applicant (including return costs).
- The award will be given to the applicant who not only demonstrate the quality, originality and technical expertise of their creative practice, but who can also show how they will benefit from the supported opportunity to be a contributing member of the 62 Group of Textile Artists.
Eligibility check list:
- I can demonstrate a distinctive artistic voice, ambition and innovation within my creative practice
- I am a UK resident
- I am willing and able to take up the Associate Membership for its full two year duration from September 2023
- I am willing to submit annual records of how the awarded money was spent to support my practice along with a short outline about how the funds and mentoring support impacted my practice.
- I can demonstrate a committed artistic practice for at least 3 years
If you have exhibited widely or had a solo show, are represented by a gallery, have had your work included in numerous publications, have been the recipient of significant awards or funding or have undertaken artist residencies please consider applying for our full membership which is more suited to this level of career stage.
How to apply for the Associate Membership:
- It is free to apply for this award
- Your application will be completed via CuratorSpace.
You will need the following information to apply:
- Name and contact details
- A short statement about your developing textile practice, your inspirations and techniques (300 words max).
- A statement explaining how the Associate Membership scheme will help you to realise your ambitions for your textile practice (max 500 words).
- Artist profile that includes any exhibitions, residencies, awards, educational experience and any other relevant information about your practice.
- 10 images of your work. Images should be no larger than 4MB. Accepted formats JPG, GIF, or PNG. Please indicate the following for each image: Title, date, size (hxwxd), media used, and a 50 word (max) statement.
- Images should include detail and full works - including examples of the work displayed.
Submission deadline: 01/06/2023
Contact the curator
- emerging/early career* textile artists. * We consider 'emerging/early career' to be 3 years plus of committed practice. We acknowledge that ‘committed practice’ may not be continuous and may include employment breaks, career breaks or career changes.
- able to demonstrate a distinctive artistic voice, ambition and innovation within my creative practice
- a UK resident
- willing and able to take up the Associate Membership for its full two year duration from September 2023
- willing to submit annual records of how the awarded money was spent to support my practice along with a short outline about how the funds and mentoring support impacted my practice.
- able to demonstrate a committed artistic practice for at least 3 years
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
Call for entries for an International Photography Exhibition. This month long exhibition will be... Darkness Falls; International Photography Exhibition
Call for entries for an International Photography Exhibition. This month long exhibition will be... Haus-a-rest Summer Ex-Hibition
Calling all artists who were NOT selected for the Royal Academy Summer show.