Call for Proposals: Corridor8 Art Writing Residency at Humber Street Gallery, Hull
Deadline: 30/09/2017 | Published: 23/08/2017 | Venue: Humber Street Gallery | City: Hull | Country: United Kingdom | Rebecca Senior
Paid opportunityReport this?
Corridor8 Art Writing Residency at Humber Street Gallery.
Fee, inclusive of travel costs: £1,000.
Application Deadline: 30 September 2017, 5pm
This residency opportunity is intended to encourage critical and creative forms of art writing that depart from a review-style format, which demonstrate the relevance of contemporary art (its production, display and reception) to wider issues and contexts. Applications are encouraged from a broad spectrum of writers including recent graduates, early-career writers and emerging artist-writers employing writing as their practice medium. Based in Hull, the writer-in-residence will have the opportunity to develop their own writing and contribute to the Humber Street Gallery's wider programme, diversifying their experience of writing in art organisational settings and developing public programmes.
The successful applicant will spend at least 7 days in residence at Humber Street Gallery, producing the following:
- A 1,200 word piece of art writing that broadly and creatively responds to Hull, Portrait of a City (13 October - 31 December 2017) and the wider SUBSTANCE programme.
- Develop and deliver a day-long workshop and panel discussion in late November, exploring their research and writing.
- Attend the launch of the publication in late December.
Corridor8 and Humber Street Gallery will provide:
- A residency space in Hull will be available to the writer-in-residence between Saturday 14 October to Saturday 18 November 2017.
- Two mentoring sessions from established writer Jamie Sutcliffe (Strange Attractor Press, Art Monthly).
- Inclusion of the final text produced by the writer during the residency within a limited edition printed publication alongside essays by Jamie Sutcliffe and artist-writer Claire Potter.
Applicants must be based in the North of England, at an early stage of their career and have a genuine interest in working closely with artists, writers, curators and editors to evolve their writing practice.
The writer in residence must also be able to attend an initial meeting on 14th October 2017 at Humber Street Gallery in Hull (to be taken as a day in residence).
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of the candidate's suitability to the residency and quality of writing. The selection panel is comprised of Rebecca Senior (Corridor8), Kate West (Humber Street Gallery) and David Sinclair (Humber Street Gallery).
Supported by Arts Council England, and Humber Street Gallery.
Contact the curator
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest updates about new and upcoming opportunities
Submissions wanted for an exhibition taking place in May/June. All disciplines welcomed. Outdoor Arts Creative Placements (paid & unpaid)
Walk the Plank and Manchester City Council are offering paid and unpaid placements to new... A Call to Origins: Art Residency, Exhibition and Symposium in Sardinia Island, Italy
Becomebecome invites artists, curators, and researchers to apply for its 4th nomadic residency...