[OPEN CALL] AMAZÓNICA Artists-in-Residence
Deadline: 31/03/2023 | City: Iquitos | Country: Peru | Correlacion Contemporanea
Production and research residency program in the Amazon Rainforest, Peru 2023. The residency program Amazonica welcomes national and international visual artists, multidisciplinary & interdisciplinary artists, curators, and other disciplines, for four weeks to develop projects related to the Peruvian Amazon, The community and city of Iquitos, Native cultures and tribes (such as but not limited to Kukama Kukamiria, Bora, Shipibo Conibo, Huitoto, etc), Equity and liberation.
Amazónica program provides residents with an experiential of the socio-cultural context of the Peruvian Amazon, promoting critical research through traditional and contemporary artistic practices in contact with locals. The residence proposes a total disconnection from the routine or type of life, to reconnect with nature. We propose an alternative and traditional space for creation from an intercultural horizon, which can be explored through personal and collective research and exploration.
The program aims to create an environment of knowledge and cultural exchange, artistic production, and/or research in contemporary arts. During the residency program, residents and coordinators will have a work plan and activity schedule. A local artist and/or curator will be leading the program and checking in with artists.
- Transportation airport - residence - airport
- Traditional welcome amazon dinner
- Accommodation in shared rooms during the residency program (Breakfast included)
- Tribe experience, transportation and stay in a native community
- Weekly workshops or lectures on amazon art and culture with local artists
- Weekly meetings and talks organized by curators to exchange information and ideas about a proposed topic. Daily feedback or check-in meetings with the curator if necessary
- Iquitos city culture/art tour and shopping tour
- The organization is committed to holding two art exhibitions that will display the artist-in-residence products in two different cities, Iquitos and Lima (curatorial texts, pieces transportation, and installation included)
- Online publication and catalog
- If required by artists and approved by directors, the residency will provide the space and promotion for residents’ open studios or workshops
- If required by artists, the directors will provide support letters for grants, fellowships, or sponsorships, as well as welcome or invitation letters for visas
- Participation certificates will be extended at the end of the residency
The fee does not include
- Air tickets (national or international)
- Lunch, diners or refreshments
- Art supplies
- Personal expenses
- Touristic tickets or activities
- Health insurance
Obligations and conditions of participation
- Participants must respect local living conditions and peers’ cultural background
- Residents must cover their air tickets, lunch and dinner, art supplies, and other personal expenses
- Resident artists are prohibited from carrying contraband, explosives, and other hazardous items, and must comply with the regulations governing the use of sites and facilities. Individuals are expected to be responsible for themselves
- The residence’s main language is Spanish to ensure communication between coordinators, the community, and local actors. The English translation will be available during program activities scheduled by the organization
- The participants would be asked to facilitate pictures or audiovisuals of products made during the residency to be included in our platforms
- Artists’ names will be displayed on the residency’s website, publications, and others
Duration: four weeks
Fee: 700 USD / 4 weeks (in 2 payments of 350 USD each before residency starts).
Deadline: March 31, 2023
Residency starts: Sept 2023
Contact the curator
Online publication and catalog
If required by artists and approved by directors, the residency will provide the space and promotion for residents’ open studios or workshops
- Activities proposed respect local living conditions and cultural backgrounds
- Previous experience and portfolio
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
Call for entries for an International Photography Exhibition. This month long exhibition will be... Darkness Falls; International Photography Exhibition
Call for entries for an International Photography Exhibition. This month long exhibition will be... Haus-a-rest Summer Ex-Hibition
Calling all artists who were NOT selected for the Royal Academy Summer show.