Sparks Graphic Design Brief
Deadline: 05/09/2021 | Published: 18/08/2021 | Venue: Thackray Museum of Medicine | City: Leeds | Region: West Yorkshire | Country: United Kingdom | Thackray Museum of Medicine
We are redeveloping our 'Sparks' early years play area and looking for a graphic designer to help create a comfortable, fun and vibrant environment which reflects our brand and our mission to inspire people with the passion and purpose of medicine and healthcare.
We aim to create a setting which encourages sensory play for 18m-4year olds. Six themed areas aim to build ‘medical capital’ in pre-schoolers and their carers:
- confidence in using medical settings
- familiarity with healthcare professionals
- an understanding of how the body works
Audiences that are dear to our heart are:
- very local, very diverse audiences in Harehills
- those living with chronic illness or disability
... so our design needs to be inclusive and representative and we would like children to be included in the design process.
The area is divided into two parts:
- role play area introducing different healthcare settings and themes c. 5.5m x 7m
- soft play experience based on food travelling through the digestive system
Mid Sept: Appoint illustrator and graphic designer to refine concepts and draft ideas. Appoint soft play manufacturer to refine concepts, design and produce soft play experience.
Early Oct: test and refine soft play concepts with nursery group; finalise costing.
Mid Oct: test and refine draft illustrations and graphics with nursery group. Finalise costings. Soft Play final designs and budget signed off for production.
End Oct: final illustrations to graphic designer. Soft play install.
Early Nov: finalise graphic design; print and install
Mid Nov: launch
Design, produce and install the following assets for exclusive and universal use by Thackray Museum of Medicine primarily for use within 'Sparks' but also for promoting the site and for example creating any commercial products.
We are commissioning an illustrator separately to work up illustrative content.
Role play area:
- 5 x shaped vinyls @ approx. 1.5m high - ‘Feelgood Friends’ animal characters with names eg.
- optician – with big eyes – owl?
- paramedic - good at touch... octopus?
- doctor – good at listening... elephant?
- Dietician – interested in food... hungry caterpillar?
- Dentist – friendly croc with lots of healthy teeth!
- 5 x shaped vinyl character symbols c A2 – eg ambulance, eye, tooth
- vinyl frieze combining animal characters and symbols to unify the design c. 25m
- 1 x vinyl giant mouth at entrance to soft play area
Soft play area:
- 5 foamex shaped panel illustrations and 5 titles c A2
- 'Feelgood Friends' Brand logo using one or more characters or shapes
- Assets for social promotion and poster design
Meet with the Thackray team and illustrator to work up concepts. Work through drafts and consultation with local nursery to final designs. Print and install final designs. Ensure Thackray have final designs in required formats to use in future work.
If you are interested in working with us on this project, please submit a proposal to include:
- your suggested approach
- suggested timings
- suitable examples of your work
By: 5pm 5 September
Please contact us with any questions.
Contact the curator
- create a comfortable, fun and vibrant environment which reflects our mission to inspire people with the passion and purpose of medicine and healthcare.
-create a setting which encourages sensory play for 18m-4year olds. Six themed areas aim to build ‘medical capital’ in pre-schoolers and their carers:
• confidence in using medical settings
• familiarity with healthcare professionals.
• An understanding of how the body works
A proposal which responds to our targetted audiences:
• very local, very diverse audiences in Harehills
• those living with chronic illness or disability
A proposal which reflects our brand and offers good value for money for our charity
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
the MASS is a monthly online collection of discursive art, articles, opinions, prompts,... Dark Skies, Wild Seas - Coverack arts-science group residency | Round two call for new applications
Dark Skies, Wild Seas: Coverack Group Artist Residency (December 5th - 9th, 2021). A fantastic... Stars, Planets, and Space Small Works Open Call
Fronteer Gallery are looking for small works inspired by the planets, stars, space, and the...