Dewsbury Better Spaces: Wall Panels Installation
Deadline: 22/08/2019 | Published: 25/07/2019 | City: Dewsbury | Country: United Kingdom | Louise Cristobal
Kirklees council is seeking to introduce an artistic intervention within Dewsbury town centre. A site has been identified as the wall between the Dewsbury Ring Road and Dewsbury Bus station. This work will tie in with Kirklees’ wider ambitions to improve Dewsbury town centre through a series of ongoing projects. The artwork will act as a welcoming gateway feature into Dewsbury town centre.
The requirement is:
- To create a gateway piece to Dewsbury.
- Create a bold, vibrant, colourful artwork.
- To reflect the culture and or heritage of Dewsbury.
- To form part of a Dewsbury collection taking into consideration and putting it in the context of the exiting works of art around the town, such as ‘The millworker’, ‘Rugby player’ and ‘the Samaritan’.
The commission will:
- Creatively research and present findings relating to people’s feelings/perception and aspirations in terms of Dewsbury.
- To present one main concept for the artwork to a selection panel.
- The piece can be made from any material suitable for outdoor display, i.e. metal. Wood, glass.
- We would like to incorporate a textile which claims to absorb air pollutants into the panels. (Details of fabric supplier: https://www.urbanvision.com/website/wp-content/themes/amaranto/the_breath_UK.pdf) This textile can be manipulated/painted/printed.
- To be designed in such a way that the pollution absorbing fabric could be replaced, and or removed at a later date.
- The pieces should have a high level of artistic integrity. It should read well from a distance as well as close up.
- The pieces will be panels not deeper than 20cm and attachable to the wall, between the wall alcoves.
- Each panel should be approximately 4.5x2m. (artist to measure wall panels on site to ensure fit)
- A minimum of 3 panels is required and should incorporate at least 3m2 of pollutant absorbing fabric within each panel.
- A life expectancy of the art pieces of at least 5 years.
DESIGN AND FABRICATION:
- The Artist(s) will work up designs into suitable drawings/mock ups which can be used to gain approval of the design from the clients and beneficiaries before manufacture begins.
- Artist(s) to fabricate artworks based on agreed mock-ups.
- Estimated fabrication from week commencing TBC
- Budget 7-8k
It is expected that the installation will be carried out by the Artist(s) who should include for all works necessary for the installation of the work. Options for the construction of the artwork can be suggested and agreed with the client during this process. Should a consultant structural engineer be required to ensure the integrity of the piece please highlight this in your bid. This will not prejudice the choice.
- Submit expression of interest with initial thoughts on an A4 sheet, an A4 summary of relevant past experience and works. Evidences of insurances.
- Once Artist(s) expressions are received Kirklees will inform Artist(s) whether they have been successful or not.
- Shortlisted artist will be asked to complete the attached schedule of quantities and present a more detailed/refined idea to a selection panel, Mid-September 2019 (Exact date to be confirmed)
- Selected Artist will be given 8 weeks for fabrication with the aim of installation in December 2019.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To contract manage the overall delivery of the major art project which will be delivered by the appointed artist.
- To act as liaison between partners.
- To assist Artist to liaise with stakeholders to set up dates at times agreeable to all partners. Kirklees Council will pass on relevant contacts only.
- To review, agree and sign off all works
- KEY CONTACT: Louise Cristobal -Kirklees Landscape Architects
Role of Artist(s):
- To provide Kirklees Council with details of product and public liability and professional indemnity insurance cover (minimum of £5 million cover required) and Disclosure CRB checks appropriate to the work being undertaken.
- To attend meeting(s) with the Kirklees Council as necessary to facilitate the works and installation.
- To produce the artwork and provide regular progress updates to Kirklees council.
- To detail and coordinate the installation of the artwork in an agreeable manner to Kirklees council.
- To oversee full programme of work in a manner agreeable to all parties.
- To keep to timescales and advise Kirklees Council of any unforeseen alterations to the stated timescales.
Contact the curator
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
We invite artists, photographers, illustrators and more, to exhibit with us as part of our... Commission for socially engaged artist/collective
#makingourspace is the campaign capturing the development of our resident-led space in Flaxley... FILLER Zine 03 - EARTH ISSUE
FILLER is a trend-focused food and mental health zine, each issue encouraging discourse around...