Secret Postcard Show at Cupola Gallery
Deadline: 01/08/2023 | City: Sheffield | Region: South Yorkshire | Country: United Kingdom | Karen Sherwood
SECRET POSTCARD SHOW Exhibition Dates: 26 August – 30 September 2023. SHOW OPENS Friday 25 August 2023, 7:30pm With Grateful thanks to Rachael Pinks from the Old Lock Up Gallery, Cromford whose excellent template we have used for all the information you need. - Below - Secret Postcard Show 2023. Following the success of the previous fund raising show in 2020 we are holding another.
How it works:
We invite all who wish to contribute, to make and donate a postcard sized artwork for exhibition. Each postcard is then put on sale for a fixed price, with proceeds going to support a charitable cause. This year we are splitting the funds raised 50/50. 50% towards international disaster relief efforts and 50% towards ongoing carbon reduction & building repairs at the gallery. The postcard show is 'secret' because only once the postcard is sold does the purchaser get to find out who has made and donated the artwork.
Cupola, a private, non funded, contemporary gallery, was established in 1991 to provide exhibition and sales opportunities for contemporary artists and fine craft makers in the northern industrial city of Sheffield. Established unusually between a betting shop and a laundrette in an 'unfashionable' part of town, Hillsborough, many said it would never last. Despite many trials, not least the installation of Sheffield's light rail network, Supertram, which saw the area devastated by road closures and disruption resulting in the loss of 1 in 4 businesses in the area, a total loss of 94 businesses within 4 years. Cupola has endured floods, recessions, the financial crash and a pandemic but is delighted to say we are still here 32 years later!
Each postcard donated and then sold will help secure the future of the gallery.
The exhibition works on so many levels and provides an opportunity for all involved.
• Contributors get to exhibit in an established contemporary art gallery, and to know that they are supporting the future of the gallery.
• Art lovers - a show where all of the work is affordable and accessible to all. Regardless of who created the postcard every piece sells at a very reasonable fixed price of £15 per postcard.
• Cupola Contemporary Art - the support that we receive from contributors and postcard collectors, during this show, will help secure the future of Cupola Contemporary Art and to provide a professional environment for the exhibition and sale of art and fine craft for the future. We are an established friendly, accessible quality independent contemporary art gallery based in a local community with a national reputation and reach. We have no desire to move. We want to continue to take risks, put on temporary exhibitions and make connections locally, nationally and internationally from our venue situated at the heart of a community.
• All proceeds from the sale of the postcards are split 50/50 between charities supporting disaster relief and Cupola Gallery.
• Postcards are sold at £15 each.
SECRET POSTCARD SHOW
Exhibition Dates: 26 August – 30 September 2023.
SHOW OPENS: Friday 25 August 2023, 7:30pm
HOW TO APPLY:
How do you as an artist contribute and donate your work to this forthcoming show?
Complete the application form to let us know what you're sending.
Send your postcard sized artwork – only original works please – no reproductions - in a stamp addressed envelope/packet etc to: Cupola Gallery, 178a Middlewood Road, Sheffield S6 1TD
• Size: standard postcard size A6
• Maximum number of entries per Artist - 10
• Any medium is accepted: original printmaking, collage, photography, paint, wood, metal, ceramics, drawing, textiles, mixed media etc.
• Do not sign the front of the postcard.
• On the reverse of the postcard: write: your name, signature, title of work (if applicable), medium, website and email address.
• Open for entries from now.
• Closed for entries on 1 August 2023.
• All postcards should arrive by 18th August at the latest.
• During the show we post as many images as we can of the show - via Twitter @cupolagallery, Facebook @cupolagallerysheffield and Instagram @cupolacontemporaryart
• Unsold work cannot be returned and will remain the property of the gallery: We will continue to sell postcards throughout the year and keep unsold work stored appropriately and carefully. After the exhibition has ended we will upload unsold images for sale on our website.
• We aren’t able to let you know when your postcard has arrived - due to numbers expected. We hope however you will spot your donation in the exhibition photos.
• Please ensure that you have paid the correct amount of postage on your envelope, package, parcel - it saves us so much time. Thank you.
Cupola thanks you in advance for your kindness and generosity for considering taking part in this show. Without support from artists and customers alike the gallery would not still be here. We want to continue to offer exhibition and sale exhibition opportunities for artists and remain part of the artistic and broader community of Hillsborough, Sheffield and the north of England.
PLEASE SEND ALL POSTCARDS TO:
178-178a Middlewood Road,
Make a submission Contact the curator
You must have an account to make a submission using CuratorSpace. It's free and only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You'll need to log in to make a submission to this opportunity.
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
Call for entries for an International Photography Exhibition. This month long exhibition will be... Darkness Falls; International Photography Exhibition
Call for entries for an International Photography Exhibition. This month long exhibition will be... Haus-a-rest Summer Ex-Hibition
Calling all artists who were NOT selected for the Royal Academy Summer show.