Sparks Illustrator Brief for Thackray Medical Museum
Deadline: 05/09/2021 | Published: 03/08/2021 | City: Leeds | Country: United Kingdom | Thackray Museum of Medicine
We are redeveloping our 'Sparks' early years play area and looking for a children’s illustrator to help create a comfortable, fun and vibrant environment which reflects our mission to inspire people with the passion and purpose of medicine and healthcare.
We aim to create a setting which encourages sensory play for 18 months - 4 year olds. Six themed areas aim to build medicaol capital in pre-schoolers and their carers:
- confidence in using medical settings
- familiarity with healthcare professionals
- an understanding of how the body works
Audiences that are dear to our heart are:
- the very local, very diverse audiences in Harehills
- those living with chronic illness or disability
...so our design needs to be inclusive and representative and we would like children to be included in the design process.
The area is divided into two parts:
- role play area introducing different healthcare settings and themes c.5.5m x 7m
- softplay experience based on food travelling through the digestive system
Mid Sept: appoint illustrator and designer to refine concepts and draft ideas.
Early October: test and refine illustrations and graphics with nursery group.
End October: final illustrations to graphic designer.
Early Novemnber: finalise graphic design; print and install
Mid November: launch
Create the following illustrations for exclusive and univeral use by Thackray Museum of Medicine primarily for use within 'Sparks' but also to promoting the site and, for example, creating commerial products.
- 5 'Feelgood Friends' animal characters with names eg optician - with big eyes - owl?
- 5 character symbols eg ambulance, tooth...
- Create continual repeating wall frieze of the characters and symbols to connect the 5 themed areas
- giant child's mouth, arm and fork to surround the soft play entrance
- for the journey through the digestive system - 5 illustrative drawings (food, splashes... simple anatomy tbc) to be painted on to the textured walls (painting not part of this brief).
Work with the Thackray team to develop concepts and work through design ideas to final illustrations and to consult with children at a local nursery.
Work with a graphic designer to ensure illustrations are supplied in suitable formats and quality for print or digital platforms.
Next steps: If you are interested in working with us on this project, please submit a proposal to include:
- your suggested approach
- suggested timings
- suitable examples of your work
or contact Sue Mackay to visit/discuss.
By: 5pm, 5th September
Contact the curator
- create a comfortable, fun and vibrant environment which reflects our mission to inspire people with the passion and purpose of medicine and healthcare.
-create a setting which encourages sensory play for 18m-4year olds. Six themed areas aim to build ‘medical capital’ in pre-schoolers and their carers:
• confidence in using medical settings
• familiarity with healthcare professionals.
• An understanding of how the body works
A proposal which responds to our targetted audiences:
• very local, very diverse audiences in Harehills
• those living with chronic illness or disability
A proposal which offers good value for money for our charity
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
the MASS is a monthly online collection of discursive art, articles, opinions, prompts,... Dark Skies, Wild Seas - Coverack arts-science group residency | Round two call for new applications
Dark Skies, Wild Seas: Coverack Group Artist Residency (December 5th - 9th, 2021). A fantastic... Stars, Planets, and Space Small Works Open Call
Fronteer Gallery are looking for small works inspired by the planets, stars, space, and the...