English Riviera Summer Open 2020
Deadline: 10/08/2020 | Published: 03/07/2020 | Venue: Artizan Collective Pop-up Gallery | City: Torquay | Region: Devon | Country: United Kingdom | Artizan Gallery
English Riviera Summer Open Exhibition | Part of Devon Open Studios 2020.
Artizan Collective CIC welcomes submissions to their annual Summer Open Exhibition which for 2020 will coincide with this year’s Devon Open Studios event. This annual exhibition has grown phenomenally over the past 6 years, and now takes place in an expanded venue on the Torquay high-street. Representing more than 100 artists, this diverse show is a highlight of the Devon summer visual arts calendar.
The exhibition is a great opportunity for Devon Open Studios participants but is also open to any UK or international artist. Full submission criteria are below.
- Each artist can submit up to 6 works for selection
- Works will either be selected (these will be guaranteed to hang) reserved (these will be requested for delivery and stored on the gallery floor for viewings; they may also be hung) or unsuccessful (these will not be displayed). All submissions will be listed publicly in the online gallery
- A completed submission consists of a fully completed booking form and the appropriate fee.
- This is a selective exhibition; entry is not guaranteed at the point of submission and no refunds will be given to those who do not have work selected.
- Full exhibition terms and conditions can be found here: [https://bit.ly/3c5tdmd]
- A single submission is considered to be any work up to 60x60cm inclusive of framing
- Any work with a dimension greater than 60cm and less than 120cm in any direction will be considered as two submissions (for example, if you have works which are 80x50cm you could submit a maximum of three works within the six work limit as each piece would count as two submissions)
- All framing should be completed to a standard sufficient for exhibition (see terms and conditions for full details). If your work falls outside of these requirements but you feel is suitably presented for exhibition you should enquire to the gallery before making your submission.
- A single submission is considered to be:
- An individual piece not exceeding 40cm in any direction or…
- A series of similar works where each individual work does not exceed 20cm in any two dimensions (for example if you are a ceramicist producing a specific series of bowls/mugs etc.). Depending on the size of works between 3 and 8 individual pieces will be accepted and considered as one submission.
- A double submission is considered to be:
- An individual piece exceeding 40cm in any direction or…
- A floor standing work
- Additional display conditions for 3D work:
- Jewellery and very small items should be provided with secure display equipment and artists should consult with the gallery to ensure they are making sufficient provisions prior to submission.
- If a 3D work is wall display it must be submitted as a 2D Work
- Where specific display equipment is required this must be specified
- You may be requested to supply plinths or make additional provisions for display of your work where these are non-standard
- Any artist wishing to submit work exceeding a footprint of 60cm2 should contact the gallery prior to submission
Submission Deadline: 1st August
Confirmation of Success: 3rd August
Exhibition Start Date: Sunday 23rd August
Exhibition End Date: Sunday 27th September
Delivery Dates: Delivery dates will be confirmed prior to the end of July but will include a number of morning and evening, weekday and weekend slots to provide sufficient opportunity. The final deadline for delivery will be 10am Saturday 15th August
Collection Dates: Collection dates during the week immediately following the close of the show will be confirmed in the first fortnight of the exhibition, and will include a number of morning, evening, weekday and weekend slots. The first two-hour collection window will be on Sunday 27th September, one hour after exhibition close.
Launch Day Event: Saturday 22nd August (exact timings and format tba)
Opening Hours: It may be necessary for our opening hours to adjust between now and the exhibition but we intend to open weekends and 3 week days (5 days/week) prior to Devon Open Studios, increasing to 6 days/week during the Devon Open Studios event itself.
Saturday and Weekdays 11:00-17:00
You will need to select the number and type of submissions you want to make (up to 6) after making your first submission.
Submission Type: Standard // First Work: £15 // Additional Work: £7.50 each
Submission Type: Devon Open Studios Participant // First Work: £5 // Additional Work: £5 each
Submission Type: Other Discretionary Submission // First Work: £10 // Additional Work: £5 each
*Other Discretionary Submission available to Arthub members, Devon Artist Network members, Torbay Guild of Artist members, Devon Art Society members, under 25s
Commission of 33% is taken on all works with a 5% donation from this being made to the chosen exhibition charity
Main Contact: Julie Brandon
Artizan Collective CIC Pop-up Venue
Unit 5 Fleet Walk,
74 Fleet Street
Delivery dates will be confirmed prior to the end of July but will include a number of morning and evening, weekday and weekend slots to provide sufficient opportunity. The final deadline for delivery will be 10am Saturday 15th August
Collection dates during the week immediately following the close of the show will be confirmed in the first fortnight of the exhibition, and will include a number of morning, evening, weekday and weekend slots.
The first two-hour collection window will be on Sunday 27th September, one hour after exhibition close.
Saturday and Weekdays 11:00-17:00
Artizan Collective CIC and Artizan Gallery venues and employees undertake all the required steps to remain COVID-19 Secure in line with the government’s standards for retail premises and cultural venues. As well as implementing provisions which enable us to work safely with the public in a retail setting, this also applies to the way we work with artists to securely display and showcase their work and deliver supporting services. If you have any specific queries about how this is achieved or need to make us aware of special arrangements you may require, please get in touch.
KEY CHANGES TO EXHIBITIONS
- COVID-19 Secure guidelines such as social distancing will apply to all our working practices and may impact delivery and collection procedures. As always, we will aim to be as flexible as possible to support the needs of artists, but some procedures will undoubtedly be more restrictive
- Retail premises are required to manage their audiences to allow sufficient distancing within venues and as such there will be requirements to limit the total number of visitors in the venue at one time. This may also require us to mark a prescribed route around the exhibition that audiences will be obliged to follow.
- Due to restrictions on large gatherings we will now host an exhibition “launch day” rather than a preview evening. The format of these events will vary but they will take place over a full opening day (as opposed to a two-hour event window) and will be a first chance to view the exhibition. Audiences will be required to book a time slot to visit the exhibition so that numbers can be managed.
- If it is necessary for the wider Devon Open Studios event to be delayed but our own exhibition is able to go ahead we may chose to run it as planned or the reposition it to coincide with the new Devon Open Studios dates.
- If Devon Open Studios is cancelled for the year but our own exhibition is able to go ahead, we will still run it at a suitable time but may reschedule the event.
- In both of the above circumstances, this may involve rescheduling the event into the following year.
- We do not foresee an eventuality where we have to cancel the exhibition but if for whatever reason this is necessary, we will endeavour to carry over submission fees and offset them against other exhibition opportunities.
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
LDG is seeking talented facilitators for guest slots on our extremely successful feminist... TRANSIENT: Open call for OCTOBER Online Residencies for creatives exploring ART & TECHNOLOGY!!
@t.ransienttt is an online residency programme via Instagram supporting creatives who explore... Creative Co-working space in Hebden Bridge
The Egg Factory is a creative co-working space in Hebden Bridge.