English Riviera Summer Open 2021
Deadline: 13/06/2021 | Published: 11/05/2021 | City: Torquay | Region: Devon | Country: United Kingdom | Artizan Gallery
English Riviera Summer Open 2021. The annual English Riviera Summer Open Exhibition returns for another year as the country approaches "business as usual" and Torbay ramps up for what is expected to be an exceptionally busy tourist season.
After a year of interruption, we've already kicked off 2021 with some wonderful exhibitions at the Artizan Collective Gallery that have captivated audiences, but the Summer Open is probably our most anticipated calendar offer.
Despite considerable upheaval, both our Summer and Winter Open exhibitions were able to run last year, and even though it was reduced to just 3 of its intended 8 week run, the English Riviera Winter Open secured record sales for our annual open series. And with the South West now in a considerably better position than it was at the end of 2020, our Summer Open promises to be a big event for the region.
This year the exhibition runs earlier to take maximum advantage of the peak tourist season, running throughout July and August for a full 8 weeks and will also host the first exhibition launch event we've been able to hold in over a year.
Continue reading for full submission information and we hope to see your work in show with us this Summer.
About Artizan Collective Gallery
Artizan Collective CIC is a not for profit Social Enterprise dedicated to the advancement of arts and culture in Torbay, supporting wider engagement and greater accessibility to arts for our communities, through the provision of opportunities, resources, spaces and networks for creatives of all practices in a sustainable and resilient manner.
Currently hosted at Fleet Walk in the Artizan Collective Gallery, the Collective is providing a vibrant creative hub delivering opportunities for artists and audiences living and working in the Bay, as well as contributing to the English Riviera's cultural tourism offer. The venue currently runs a year-round visual arts programme which supports artists of all disciplines and experiences, including students and emerging artists, by creating affordable exhibition opportunities, awards and bursaries. In addition, a programme of community workshops, artist studios, and production spaces are in development in partnership with other independent creatives and local cultural organisations.
Through this activity we aim to improve the perception of Torbay's cultural offer, showcasing and connecting the creative stakeholders contributing to the sector and signposting audiences from this prominent location, to the areas hidden gems.
The organisation currently consists of two directors and a small group of key stakeholders and partners who support and deliver work, as well as an invested community of artists and creatives. Artizan Gallery supports the work of Artizan Collective CIC through the sharing of resources and promotional activities.
Please read the below information carefully for full opportunity details.
- This is a selective exhibition, your fee and confirmation of terms entitles you to have your work judged by the selection panel for possible inclusion in the exhibition
- Up to 8 works can be submitted
- Works will have the opportunity to either be selected (these will be guaranteed to hang) or reserved (these will be requested for delivery and stored on the gallery floor for viewings; they may also be hung)
- All submitted works will be listed on the online exhibition page provided adequate details and high quality images are provided at the point of submission
- All successful artists will be entitled to supply, in addition to their accepted work:
- Up to three mounted and wrapped works for browsers or
- Up to three additional small for sale products such as catalogues or artbooks, and
- Greetings cards; either 5 copies of 3 designs or up to 15 original greetings cards
- All selected works will be showcased for a period of 8 weeks during the height of the tourist season on the English Riviera
- Exposure in the English Riviera’s premier selective exhibition gallery
- Opportunity for commercial sales of work
- Features in exhibition print and digital promotional material delivered via the channels of the exhibition curators and partner organisations
- Long-term exposure on the exhibition digital hub including micro-profile and the opportunity for additional features
- Selected artists may be recommended to our partner services to have their work featured in additional online listings
- Works under £200 will be promoted as part of our Artist Support Pledge work (see art-hub.co.uk/artistsupportpledge)
Work Sizes, Types and Dimensions
- Works are classified as either:
- 2D Wall Display
- 3D Surface Display (not exceeding a height of 60cm)
- 3D Floor Display
- Works of any medium are accepted
- 2D Works:
- A single 2D entry will not exceed 60cm in any direction inclusive of framing
- 2D entries exceeding 60cm but not exceeding 1.5m in any direction can be submitted as two entries
- 3D Works:
- A single 3D entry will not exceed 80cm in any dimension
- 3D entries exceeding 80cm but not exceeding 1.5m in any direction can be submitted as two entries
- Small 3D works may be submitted as a series and be counted as one entry but you must contact the gallery before making your submission to confirm if your work qualifies for this
- Jewellery and small items should be provided with secure display equipment and artists should consult with the gallery to ensure they are making sufficient provisions prior to submission.
- A 3D work that is wall display should be submitted as a 2D Work
- Where specific display equipment is required this must be specified
- You may be requested to supply plinths or make additional provisions for display of your work where these are non-standard
- Deadline for Entries: Midnight 13th June
- Confirmation of Entries: 15th June
- Start Date: 5th July
- End Date: 29th August
- Launch Date: 3rd July
- Delivery Week: 20th - 26th June
- Hang Week: 27th - 2nd July
- Delivery Deadline: Midday 26th June
- Opening Hours: It may be necessary for our opening hours to adjust between now and the exhibition, but we intend to open weekends and 3 week days (5 days/week) 11:00-16:00
- Submission Fees: £5 for one entry, £15 for up to 8
- Commission Fees: 35%
ALL FEES GO TOWARDS ARTIZAN COLLECTIVE'S CONTINUING WORK TO DELIVER OPPORTUNITIES FOR ARTISTS IN THE SOUTH WEST
Payments can be made here: https://www.art-hub.co.uk/product-page/english-riviera-summer-open-single-entry
Newsletter Signup - You will have the opportunity to sign up to our newsletter for future updates and events notifications
Arthub Profile - You can apply for an Arthub profile at a reduced rate of £40. See art-hub.co.uk/artists
Artizan Bursary Show 2022 - You can enter to be considered for our Artizan Bursary Show 2022 for a fee of £10 (full terms and conditions at https://bit.ly/3aND579)
Artizan Collective Gallery
Unit 5 Fleet Walk
74 Fleet Street
The COVID-19 global pandemic has required us to make some changes in the way we work to ensure the safety of audiences and partners. Below we briefly outline our commitment to safety as well as the contingencies in place if for whatever reason events relating to the pandemic impact the exhibition.
Artizan Collective CIC and Artizan Gallery venues and employees undertake all the required steps to remain COVID-19 Secure in line with the government’s standards for retail premises and cultural venues. As well as implementing provisions which enable us to work safely with the public in a retail setting, this also applies to the way we work with artists to securely display and showcase their work and deliver supporting services. If you have any specific queries about how this is achieved or need to make us aware of special arrangements you may require, please get in touch.
Key Changes to Exhibitions
COVID-19 Secure guidelines such as social distancing will apply to all our working practices and may impact delivery and collection procedures. As always, we will aim to be as flexible as possible to support the needs of artists, but some procedures will undoubtedly be more restrictive.
Retail premises are required to manage their audiences to allow sufficient distancing within venues and as such there will be requirements to limit the total number of visitors in the venue at one time. This may also require us to mark a prescribed route around the exhibition that audiences will be obliged to follow.
We do not foresee an eventuality where we have to cancel the exhibition but if for whatever reason this is necessary, we will endeavour to carry over submissions to future opportunities.
Are you shielding? We want to do our best to support anyone to submit to the show so if you’re shielding, get in touch to discuss options for how you can safely provide work for the show if selected.
Full terms and conditions of entry: https://bit.ly/3iq9XmIContact the curator
Hang Week: 27th - 2nd July
Delivery Deadline: Midday 26th June
Collection of work will take place in the week following the close of the exhibition.
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
The East Riding Visual Arts Uplift is proud to announce yet another contemporary artistic... OPEN CALL | Melody
Celebrating Pride Month, TymeLapse Studio invites all LGBTQ+ artists to feature their work in... OPEN CALL ARTISTS OF THE MONTH : PRIDE
This month we are looking to raise the visibility of the LGTBQ+ Community and Celebrate...