Open call for artists in residency "Sculpt · Tale" sculpture and installation project, NY20+, China
Deadline: 01/10/2020 | Published: 13/04/2020 | City: Chengdu | Country: China | Sunny Pin Shan
Sculpture and installation art residency, in NY20+ art center in Chengdu, China. NY20+ provides artists with a park of more than 67,000 m2 for creation and exhibition. Accommodation, meals and materials for the creation of artworks in the residence is provided by NY20+. Artists can chose one month during 2020 for the residency, a festival will be held in January 2021 for exhibition and relevant events.
Situated in Chengdu, Sichuan, NY20+ is an international art promotion platform of Nongyuan International Art Village.
For 20 years , Nongyuan International Art Village (abbreviated as NY20+) has continuously gathered artists from all the world and forms a unique and colorful art space where artists can freely express their artistic concepts. There are nearly 90% of green landscapes. With more than 70 buildings, NY20+ hosts more than 150 studios and 40 organizations and institutions, over 200 artists reside and 2000 or so gather here; the amount of art talents incubated in NY exceeds 1000, making it the most representative original art base in Western China.
In 2020, NY20+ begins with sculpture and installation, in the form of quarterly art residency and art festival, relying on NY20+’s natural and artistic ecology, launches “Sculpt·Tale”, the outdoor sculpture and installation art project, opening the dialogue among different countries in the field of sculpture and installation art.
Meanwhile, to express more about the spirits of free, diverse and open public art, this project is not only open to professional artists, but also encourages students from art colleges to participate in this international art exchange project.
NY20+ provides artists with more than 67,000 m2 for creation and exhibition, breaks the invisible museum wall for artists, gives them a stage to shape their ideas, and allows them to bring creativity into the NY20+ utopia where they can achieve their creative and artistic aspirations. At the same time, through extensive interactions and in-depth exchanges with local diverse art community, artists can broaden the network of artistic horizons, trigger deeper creative inspiration and artistic practice experience. Artists are invited to participate in the NY20 + “Sculpt·Tale” special Residency Program to complete artworks during the residency (artists chose around one month during 2020 for residency program) and artists can chose to come back again to assist the art festival (planned to be held in January 2021) in its activities.
We will combine permanent outdoor display with short-term indoor display, and finally forms a long-term art exhibition and promote the exhibition in the form of an art festival.
- Launch time : April 2020
- Recruitment period : 2020 all year
- Artists and Space designers Recruitment: The project will recruit artists and space designers on a quarterly basis; in each quarter of 2020, artists can apply for residence in NY20+, China for their creation of mainly medium and large installations or sculptures.
- Volunteers or Interns Recruitment: Art-loving volunteers and interns will be recruited to participate and assist artists in their creations.
- Festival period : It is planned in January 2021
- NY20+ is planned to invite more artists to participate during the period of the art festival.
- Artists can come back again during the festival to participate in the publicity and promotion of the artworks they made.
- Artists can create and exhibit small and mediumsized sculptures or installations during the festival.
- Related activities such as forums, conference, the ceremony of interns / volunteer certificate, outdoor concerts, etc
- Selection: NY20 + will select applicants based on the applicant's artwork, resume and residency program. NY20 + will comprehensively consider the feasibility, aesthetics, theme, time consuming, budget and other contents of the project plan.
- Notice: Applicants must ensure the accuracy and authenticity of the information and materials provided by themselves. Applicants should take legitimate responsibilities for information they provided.
Residence Duration: around a month (based on the specific artists' project plan and the arrangement of NY20+).
Disciplines: Open to sculptors, installation, space design artists all over the world.
Support from NY20+:
Workspace and material
- Private or shared studios and outdoor workplace
- Materials are financed according to applicant’s project within a limited budget.
Accommodation and meals:
- Private or shared bedrooms are furnished and equipped;
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided at a regular time in residence. Any special requirements should be negotiated in advance.
- NY20+ is only responsible for the accommodation and meals within the residence.
- If any kind of technical assistance is needed according to the artist residency project, applicant can discuss with NY20+ in advance.
- NY20 + can organize volunteers to assist artists in the production of their works.
Exhibition and promotion
- The artist's work will be exhibited during art festival in January;
- NY20 + will build web-pages in both Chinese and English for applicants’ promotion.
- NY20+ has the right to use applicants’ portfolio (including applicants’ portraits and CVs, artworks, audios, videos, images, texts etc.) for related online and off-line promotion activities.
- Applicants will have chances to participate in annual group exhibition, salons, lectures, seminars, and other related exchanges according to the artworks’ disciplines and styles.
- The cost of accommodation and meals in the residency and production of the artwork is provided by NY20+.
- The cost of transportation to and from the residence is applicants’ responsibility.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the residency, including medical expenses, are of responsibility of the artist.
- After confirming the qualification of residency, applicants shall sign a residency contract to get the invitation letter for their visa and then can formally email their own consulate in Chengdu to apply for media or project support to give more help to hers/his Artist Residency Program.
Rights and obligations of artists
- When artist and the submitted works is selected, the selected artist is then deemed to agree that the organizer has the related rights of the artworks they created for this project , such as promotion, exhibition, recommendation and implementation, etc.., artists also agree that NY will be in charge of the production fees and might join in the production, sculpture or installation artworks created for "Scuplt · Tale" project during the residency will be donated to the project of“Sculpt·Tale”and NY20+ ;
- Applicants should propose a creative and implementation plan that fit into the culture and space of the NY20+, and is consistent with the theme;
- All exhibited works should be original, imitation and plagiarism are strictly forbidden. The artist owns the right of authorship, publication and revision. In the event of any dispute arising therefrom, all legal liabilities and losses to the organizer shall be borne by the applicant;
- Applicants should ensure the completion of the work;
- Applicants have the choice to guide students to help her/him to produce her/his artworks in the form of workshops;
- Before and during residency, applicants should offer related information or portfolio to NY20+ for related publicity and promotion.
- Applicants should take part in studio interaction, academic discussions, salons, lectures or related educational exchanges that are organized by NY20 +.
- Applicants should take the responsibility for ensuring the bedroom they live in is clean and without damage after the residency, as well as the studios or workspace.
- Applicants once submitted the artworks are deemed to agree in this article without the need for confirmation in writing or otherwise;
- All legal disputes arising from this project are applicable to laws of the People’s Republic of China. NY20+ reserves all the right for the final explanation.
NY20+ ART CENTER Address: No. 20, Sanhe Section, Wuhou Avenue, Wuhou District, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Zone A: Group 5, Xinmiao Village, Jinhua Street, Wuhou District, Chengdu, Sichuan, China.
Zone B: No. 20, Sanhe Section, Wuhou Avenue, Wuhou District, Chengdu, Sichuan, China.
Make a submission Contact the curator
• The cost of accommodation and meals in the residency and production of the artwork is provided by NY20+.
• The cost of transportation to and from the residence is applicants’ responsibility.
• Any personal expenses incurred during the residency, including medical expenses, are of responsibility of the artist.
• After confirming the qualification of residency, applicants shall sign a residency contract to get the invitation letter for their visa and then can formally email their own consulate in Chengdu to apply for media or project support to give more help to hers/his Artist Residency Program.
a) The artist's work will be exhibited during art festival in January;
a) NY20 + will build web-pages in both Chinese and English for applicants’ promotion.
b) NY20+ has the right to use applicants’ portfolio (including applicants’ portraits and CVs, artworks, audios, videos, images, texts etc.) for related online and off-line promotion activities.
c) Applicants will have chances to participate in annual group exhibition, salons, lectures, seminars, and other related exchanges according to the artworks’ disciplines and styles.
Fix the date of your coming with NY20+ and buy a plane ticket to Chengdu, China.
You must have an account to make a submission using CuratorSpace. It's free and only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You'll need to log in to make a submission to this opportunity.
You must have an account to send a message to the curator of this opportunity. Registering only takes a few moments. Once registered you'll be able to keep track of all of your submissions and get updates on upcoming opportunities.
Already have an account? You must log in to send this curator a message.
Get the latest CuratorSpace news, updates about new opportunities, upcoming deadlines, and art-related promotions.
the MASS is a monthly online collection of discursive art, articles, opinions, prompts,... Seeking Guest Facilitators for Feminist Webinar Program
LDG is seeking talented facilitators for guest slots on our extremely successful feminist... TRANSIENT: Open call for OCTOBER Online Residencies for creatives exploring ART & TECHNOLOGY!!
@t.ransienttt is an online residency programme via Instagram supporting creatives who explore...